Revisiting Old Tracks with New Technology

 Unfortunately, old 4-track mixes are old 4-track mixes. Unless you happen to have the machine and the original 4-track cassettes about, whatever you can find today (hopefully not decayed too much) is what you have to work with. And then you have to digitize the old analog recordings. Most of that work was done in 2003. So, even now, with newer software for mastering, I'm stuck with whatever I could grab from analog cassettes digitized with 2003 freeware. The exception being the studio material. But even that was to 16-track analog and comes pre-mixed.

I was a bit surprised at how Jeff Lynne and the Threetles ended up producing the two Anthology-related singles from John's old demo recordings. of course, both songs (Free As a Bird, Real Love) turned out well, but Real Love, in its raw form featuring John's contribution, sounded fuller on the Imagine soundtrack. A third track, Now And Then, was abandoned. George called it "rubbish." The original has so much noise on it, it wasn't worth salvaging. 

I say all that because in 2003 I started to fool around with our songs from various cassettes. Some were from 4-track recordings (mixed down) and others were from straight to cassette, live. The early free software was limited, but helpful. Add in the fact that I was starting from scratch, and you can imagine the results.

As unappealing as most of those early attempts were, I can honestly say, every one was an improvement on the original. As time went on and the software got better (and I got better on the software) the results got better. Seems each year both ends of the stick get better. For most of the tracks released on Spotify in 2020 I wish I could redo. The early remasters (as it were) represent attempts going back a decade. 

The straight to cassette live stuff is interesting. It's not only has only what the live mix was, but it also reflects where the recording unit was in the room.  These tracks have  natural reverb. One it is understaood and accepted that they are live recordings on very primitive recorders, they almost have a charm about them.

On almost every track I was able to remove some tape hiss, boost volume, add reverb, and adjust EQ to much better levels. But the clay is already the clay. In 2023, I'm more familiar with the increased number of options in the current free software. I think I have a better ear too. 

I recently took a few tracks I did not release because I didn't think I could salvage them. With the latest version of the software, I think they will probably now be added to our collection. On one track, my bassline is buried. It's from an early 4-track recording (the live version was released on Spotify). Then it struck me, just add it now. Unlike in 1989, I now have essentially unlimited tracks. So, I added my old bassline to fill it out some.

 I hope to have this and a few others added to Spotify this summer. 


Comments